Kappa Sigma is the largest college fraternity in the nation, with 306 active chapters and colonies. It was originally founded at the University of Bologna in 1400 by Manuel Chrysoloras as a secret society for the mutual protection of students from Baldassare Cossa, the corrupt governor of the city. On December 10, 1869, George Miles Arnold, John Covert Boyd, William Grigsby McCormick, Frank Courtney Nicodemus, and Edmund Law Rogers Jr. met at 46 East Lawn at the University of Virginia. There marks the American founding of Kappa Sigma by the Five Friends and Brothers. The headquarters of Kappa Sigma remains in Charlottesville, Virginia to this day.
The Omicron-Kappa chapter of Kappa Sigma was chartered on April 29, 2006. Since its
founding, the Omicron-Kappa chapter has won two FACE Awards, the second highest award
a chapter of Kappa Sigma can receive. Additionally, it is a Jackson’s Chapter and
maintains a ritual proficiency of 100%, and has produced several Masters of the Ritual.
- Colors: Scarlet, White, and Emerald Green
- National Founding Date: December 10, 1869 at the University of Virginia
- Chapter Charter Date: April 29, 2006
- Philanthropy: Military Heroes Campaign
- Symbol: The Star and Crescent
- Website: www.kappasigma.org
- Motto: Bononia Docet, meaning “Bologna Teaches”